Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our House

Is now filled with sounds we've never heard before...grunts, moans, whimpers, laughs, chuckles, cries, puppy noises and bird noises...then we hear our own laughs at this amazing situation. We went from a family of 2, just me and Billy, to a family of 4 in a matter of minutes, and we are left to care for these 2 tiny creatures that now live with us! They are our children!!!!
OURS!!!!
I'm still not sure reality has totally set in, that these kiddos are ours, no one will take them from us, they will be with us forever, and we are in charge of making sure they have what they need.
They are both so funny and so different. Emily is just hilarious, we laugh at her all day. Her faces and noises she makes are priceless. William is much more laid back, he just does his thing, smiles occasionally, but normally just "is."
But they are very both sweet and I can't wait to see how they unfold as they days go by.
All of that being said, caring for them is very hard work, and I wouldn't trade it for anything...but it is VERY hard. I'm not sure what I was expecting....but it's harder than I thought.
William threw up on me yesterday and yes I know many moms have had this happen, but this was my first actual throw up down my skin...my shirt was pulled up and down it went, over my chest, down my stomach into my pants.
Both of them go crazy when it's time to eat, they root around, turn their heads, and once they start eating...right to sleep they go. It's amazing they can be SO awake one second and then just like that, their little eyes close, and it's a miracle to get them to wake up again to eat!
They have been home with us for 2 weeks and one day. People keep asking me what they need, what I think, and all I can say is " I have no idea." I don't know if they need more to eat. I don't know if we should check their diaper again. All I can do is guess. It might be wrong, it might be right. But I believe that if we are doing everything the best we can, and doing it in their best interest, and just loving them with all of our hearts...we will be Ok.
Today is a new day. Last night was a rough night, and I said several prayers that I would get through it, in one piece, and so would they. I had to enlist help from Billy, which I didn't want to do, but I sucked it up and did it anyway. And it worked out fine. So now they are sleeping peacefully, about to be woken up to get ready for the doctor...but I will accept this time to look at their little faces and say Thank you God for giving them to us.
Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

Stephanie Perdue said...

Great post! Hang on tight it will get easier.

Julie, the mama said...

Isn't it surreal?! Your post brought back such memories. I agree with Stephanie, it will get easier. And then you will forget how hard these times were. Until you read another blog from a mama of a newborn...

My Bottle's Up! said...

soooo true. so beautifully true beth. you are such a wonderful new mom.