Monday, October 25, 2010

Who needs gluten anyway?!

Well, we got our confirmatory call today, our baby girl has Celiac disease. I hate that word " disease." But, it is what it is. We have an appt the end of next week with a dietitian and then the real fun begins. We know the basics, but apparently there is a lot of hidden gluten in lots of things. Celiac also causes your body not to absorb nutrients as well, so I need to know what kind of vitamins to give, these are formative years you know, and I need to make sure she's getting all of the adequate "stuff" she needs.
This is especially hard for ME because I'm not good with food stuff. I mean I know the basic food groups, I know we need some of it all, but when I think about %'s and Vitamin A and E and zinc and folate, etc...I get stressed. When I quit nursing that was my one big fear - Holy cow, now what in the world will they eat?!?!?!
Eating times are still probably my least favorite times of day. I think about what to feed them constantly. Is it good enough? Nutritious? Are they getting the vitamins and minerals they need? I guess at least now I'll have someone to work with, just not in the way I wanted it.
Oh well, such is life. And honestly, I look around and I know it could be worse. Our girl is healthy by most accounts, and we are so blessed for that. So bring it on Celiac, we're ready for you!!!

We went to a family reunion in Waycross on Saturday at the Okefenokee Swamp. We did the train ride, walked some trailed and saw a snake show. I can't tell you how many people said " You better watch those babies, an alligator might get them." Lol, I couldn't help but laugh. Somehow the thought of a mad alligator on the loose, in the midst of bunches of people, only having eyes for one of our babies, just made me chuckle. Lol, still does!

I'm playing SAHM today and tomorrow, our sitter is on vacation. I'm not sure I could do this full-time. I'd like to think I could...but deep down, I'm not so sure. I highly admire you SAHM's, I don't know how you spend the day. Learning? Cleaning? Going places? Resting? Playing? It's tough and anyone who says that moms don't really " work" ought to be shot. Or at least made to stay at home with toddlers, babies and other young children for a week straight. Morning and night, no breaks. THEN see what they say. Here's to all you SAHM's, cheers!

Happy Monday!

Waiting for that alligator to come get her!

William decided he was gonna face that alligator head on!

2 comments:

Mike and Cicely said...

Beth, I'm catching up on your blog. I'm with you with mealtimes being the most stressful part of my day. I, too, worry about whether or not I'm feeding her enough of the right things.

I admire your positive attitude. The babies are adorable and getting so big!

Stacia said...

Sorry to hear about her diagnosis but glad you have an answer to what has been going on. I'm sure you are going to do great when it comes to her 'treatment'/food change. I wonder all the time if I'm feeding my kids well enough. It is so a mom thing!