Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lessons I am Learning

1. We are now Mama and Daddy, not Billy and Beth.

2. You really DO do a lot of laundry with babies. I didn't believe it at first, I thought I might do an extra load or two a week...but I'm doing about a load a day, of just their clothes. We go thru an insane number of burp cloths!

3. Modesty is out the window, several people have now seen my boobs that I never thought would see them. I walk around sometimes without a shirt on, like a guy, until I'm completely done with their feeding regimen.

4. Spit up/throw up is going to be all over the house, on the pillows, couch, carpet, etc. I have to accept that.

5. On that same note, my body is also going to have spit up on it. Today I got a good dose right down my chest, into my bra, between my boobs.

6. It's really easy to accidentally fold up a hand in a nursing bra.

7. I am tired and will be tired for many months to come. It doesn't mean I"m falling apart, it doesn't mean I can't go on. It just means I'm tired. Sometimes I'm sleepy, sometimes I'm not. When I'm not, I do other stuff. And when I am, I sleep. I have to let go of any "house cleaning" guilt that I have - which is actually being fairly easy to do!

8. I may never run an errand with the children. Going places is very time and energy consuming. The thought of actually voluntarily taking them out to a store of some kind blows my mind at this point. Doctor appts are the ONLY place we're going right now.

9. Babies are dirty sometimes, actually a lot of the time. I think I may have been judgemental before, not meaning to be, but I believe I was. I would look at kids in public and think to myself " how hard is it to wipe off that kids face?" Well, I'm here to tell you - the 3 times they've been out, their faces have not been wiped. They have milk mustaches and eye boogers, and Monday, as we were walking in, Emily's beautiful pink blanket had a big wad of eye booger/snot on it. Right on top, for all to see. I just looked the other way.

10. Having help is GREAT! I need help. I love help. I'm not good at asking for it..and I'm not always good at accepting it. But it's awesome, and I know I need it. I can say it. I can admit it. And that is Ok.

11. Family is so important. I miss mine more than anything right now. There is no one like your own Mama and your own Nana. Family is going to be there above all else and will stand there next to you, when no one else will.

12. Having a mother-in-law and sister-in-law within walking distance of your house = AWESOME! This goes along with number #10, but having people that love you, and love your kids more than anything and WANT to hang out and change diapers and do your laundry and talk to you, just be there, is so nice. It's actually fun and there are many people that can't and won't say that about their in-laws, but this girl is not one of them. I am very blessed to have family so close.

13. Seeing a smile in the midst of a frustrating feeding session is priceless. It makes you want to go on and continue, and just hang in there.

I think I'll end this for now. I will probably add to the list on another post.
I will leave you with a few pictures for your viewing pleasure!


Happy One Month Birthday Babies!


William, The Thug

Do you see something poking out that is not supposed to be?!

Our first try with the sling





































3 comments:

Amber said...

Oh and there is so much more to learn too. You sound like things are wonderful. You think spit up is bad, just wait until the day one of them poops out their clothes and all over you. Somehow you get a big grin out of that too - It's all wonderful!

Julie, the mama said...

I loved this list! And I'm so glad you are documenting all of this - I swear you will forget what life with newborns is like before too long.

And you are rocking a hot little body there, missy! You look awesome. Hard to tell you just had TWINS a month ago.

The kiddos are getting so big.

It sounds like you are realizing this but my only word of advice with kids is NEVER say NEVER!

Stephanie Perdue said...

This is great. You are doing awesome! Hang in there. It only gets sweeter.