Monday, January 25, 2010

Soft hair and sweet eyes

Man, the babies were very fussy tonight. They had a hard time napping today, poor Kristy took the brunt of their sleepiness. When I got home, we ate an early dinner, and since I really didn't care to be in the living room with 2 fussy kiddos, AND we needed milk, I decided to go to the grocery store. So off we went and they were perfect little angels. We got home, Skyped for a while with my family and then we took a bath. I am bravely stepping into the territory of bathing the babies together. One in a bath seat and one not. So far, so good. They seem to really like the water and I hope that continues on with their swimming lessons we'll be taking in March!

So we did baths and tried to do our new ritual of turning down the lights and laying on our body pillow, reading a book or two and saying our prayers. Tonight, all we did was say our prayers and talk a little. Neither were overly interested in this, and since they only napped for one hour today I decided it was time for bed. William scampered off, snickering, I chased him and took him to bed. Then I came back, scooped up the Princess and shipped her off to bed.

All of this to say - bedtime and seeing them in their cribs melts my heart. I like bedtime, and many may say that is mean - but I do. I'm tired at night and while I don't get that much time with them...I do look forward to the quiet time after they are in bed, to do housework and other things that need to be done. ( Re-reading that sounds insane, lol)
Anyway, sometimes bedtime at our house doesn't go so well. Other times it does. Other times it goes half well, with baby laying right down, and one baby getting right back up. Tonight, Emily layed right down and I haven't heard a peep out of her. Given ,it's only been about 15 mins, but still. William I heard a little at first, then I heard his little pitiful cry and I go in there to find him chewing on the bed. I lay him back down, turn his Seahorse back on, put his blanket on him and just rubbed his little head. His hair is so soft...his skin is so soft, and when he looked up at me, his eyes are so sleepy and tired, but they are so sweet. Innocent. And they look at me with knowing, knowing that I am his Mama and I love him. Times like that, I just want to take them out of their cribs and just cuddle them. Because I already feel it coming....the time is slipping away. And one day, the last thing he's going to want is me rubbing his face and having sappy thoughts in my head. I guess I'll just enjoy it now.

Night night world, happy Monday!

2 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

What a beautiful blog. I so know what you mean. I always love the first two hours after bedtime, and then I start missing the kids. That is crazy, too!

I continue to love reading about your daily adventures with the twins. You are such an amazing mama, and your love for the kiddos just jumps off the pages of each and every blog. What a treasure it will be for those precious babies one day!

Mike and Cicely said...

I totally get what you mean about feeling time slip away. And I feel it the most when Grace is sleeping like an angel and I have a quiet moment to reflect about how much she's changed in such a short amount of time.